As Sabancı University Gender and Women’s Studies Center of Excellence (SU Gender), we cordially invite proposals for the international conference titled “Gender and Education” that will be held on May 11-13, 2018 in Istanbul.
The conference aims to discuss the ways in which educational processes and conceptions of gender shape one another. Proposals can analyze the relationship between gender and education at different stages of learning: early childhood, elementary, middle, high school, university education and life-long learning. They can discuss these stages through a particular social science perspective or an interdisciplinary approach. In addition, we encourage proposals that study the ways in which the lives of students, teachers, parents or other actors are transformed through “good practices” of integrating a gender perspective into education.
Below are suggested themes for proposals:
• Feminist pedagogies and critiques of educational institutions and processes through a gender perspective,
• The role of gender in early childhood development, familial and institutional processes of gender socialization, alternative practices in early childhood education,
• Gender in games, publications and other materials that are prepared for children,
• Gender in educational space, textbooks and course materials,
• The ways in which gender norms shape access to elementary and middle school education, sense of belonging towards and satisfaction from school, and job/career choices,
• The contributions offered by masculinity studies for problematizing and transforming the gendering of education; educational projects that focus on men and masculinities,
• How ethnicity, “race,” class, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, cultural identification, language, immigration, refugee status, ilness(es) and dis/ability interact with gender in the field of education,
• Projects that aim to transform the gendering of education in the fields of natural sciences, engineering, mathematics, and arts (STEAM),
• The gendering of equal access to education, schooling and child labor,
• Gender equality in higher education, institutional transformation for eliminating gender based discrimination, the development and implementation of gender action plans,
• Projects and efforts that aim to transform gender roles in adult education and life-long learning.
The conference will be held in English and Turkish. Proposals for 20 minute presentations should be about 300 words and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2018.